About Me

My photo
my blogs are my reflection !! keep following to know me better ;)

Thursday 19 May, 2011

Mysore!!!

Mysore-the cultural capital of Karnataka is actually quite a fun place to be in…! The innocent and yet hatke lifestyle of the place makes it even the more interesting!

To start with the buses here are so junta friendly, they halt every now and then, even when someone walking on the road stretches out even half an arm! Something totally opposite of Mumbai where THE bus driver is the dada of the bus and it does not halt at any place other than the bus stop..!

The shopkeepers generally shut down the shops by 8.30, in fact I have seen some shutting things down by 6.30-7. I always wonder why do they close so early and shoo-away their customers, but I guess they are following the adage –family comes first…awwww !( that’s my interpretation of course :P )

Here the auto-wallahs never try to woo the customer to take a ride in their auto, seems like they have all the luxuries in the world, and working as an auto-wallah is just a way to kill time, to be away from the daily “chik-chik” of their wife, for some time atleast! They never try to persuade you, never bother to bargain, if you wish to come good for you, else they have their bundle of newspaper to read and politics to be discussed with their fellows..! ;)

The roads are no less a roller coaster ride with the frequent and steep ups and downs in this hilly town, and going in a bus you actually feel the food jumping up and down in your stomach! Woohooooo..!! :P (For me it is equal to vomit L)

Another thing I noticed here is that there are bakeries in every corner- so many “Hot Chips” shops, makes me wonder how much junk food do Mysorities eat..!? I was always of the opinion that South Indians are very much conservative and have just mom-made food, but this was a serious blow to my prejudiced opinion!

I was aware that every place prepares its own version of the “alien” food, like the Indian “spicy” Chinese. But never did I think that the Udipi food at the restaurants where I used to hog in Mumbai, was just an eyewash, the dosa that I grew up on is not the REAL dosa available in this udipi zone..! The dosa here tastes so different! Majorly because its cooked in coconut oil! In fact everything (ok almost everything ! ) is prepared in that medium, which includes Chinese food too(sob sob..yes I had Chinese gravy with coconut milk in it in copious amount, which was cleverly disguised with a fancy name…Grrrrr !!)

All said and done about Mysore but nothing beats the weather here. It is WOW!(with few cases of burning heat bouts, but never mind !)In fact after a long stretch of 3 yrs., I saw a star-studded sky HERE at Mysore (the last time I witnessed such a view was at my native place), and OMG it was heavenly, beautiful, and what not, a totally romantic view! The less-smoke infested atmosphere has definitely spoilt me for choice ! I am sure my lungs are thanking me each day for being in Mysore and not in Mumbai! And how can I forget the easy availability of “Naariyal Paani” something that is extremely “joyous” for me! To the extent that I am planning to buy a “Naariyal ka khet” in near future ;) ;)

In short I am in love again…this time with Mysore :)

P.S: Mysore is damn cheap too! So I guess my dream is quite feasible..! All contributions to my noble investment welcomed. You will be rewarded handsomely with lifetime supply of “Naariyals” ;)

6 comments:

vixie said...

Lovely lovely lovely..:-):-):-):-)its mysore after all..;)a part of karnataka..hahah..the kannadiga in me is all smiley smiley now..muah..great read sweetie..:-)and if you have nariyal-paani to offer..m game anyday to come there and stay..hahah..:* <3

Aditi said...

nice blog nidhi.....i write sporadically too...but mostly fiction....but love the way u write...innocently and casually...:)

Prakash said...

nice nice....good to knw tat u r lovin Mysore...remember u cribbin a few mnths bac...
now (inspired by u) i need to strt writin again!!

Mav said...

ahh! finally i find the link to follow your blog! :) you beautifully penned down about mysore. i fell in love with the place too. in fact, wrote a post about it long back...though it was a short experience..
http://breathingbasketball.blogspot.com/2010/10/cest-la-vie.html

Nidhi Sarda said...

@adu: toh deal..! aaja...lets finalise the plot...dont 4get the moolah ;)

@aditi: thanks yaar !

@prak: hehehe..! its all because of the cribbings that i was drawn to writing ;) write ur next writing soon na..!!!

@mav:yup..did some cosmetic changes to the blog..!

Anonymous said...

Hi, my first time here.
Mysore is an amazing place ! Glad to read a post on it,
But nariyal oil? Seriously? I wonder where you ate coz' I can still imagine groundnut oil but coconut oil - hmmmm.

Keep writing ! :)